Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
1986 48' Viking Airr replacement
August 8, 2011
9:36 am
Steve Pooler
Admin
Forum Posts: 1127
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Tightspot said:

Hey Steve, I have been a fan of yours on the HOF site. I have an '86 48' Viking with three units, the foreward has a 12000 btu split cruiseair, i think it is original. The saloon and midgalley are both Airr 14000btu that I think are aroung 10 years old. I will check on the age...I wasn't aware that Marine Airrr made a 14K unit till the Turbo of today...The saloon unit was installed in a very inefficient way, there is not enough SQ inches of return and the supply is about 8' of 5" flex duct that is paritally collapsed. Also, the water supply lines are 3/4" but the seacock is 1/2" with only one pump for all three units. I understand that this setup was only used for the first couple of years of this model because of the problems. Because of space limitations I only have a couple of options (that I am aware of). Viking stated to put them under the helm on the bridge, I would prefer not to do this, I dont really like the return and supply being in the ceiling. The option I like is behind the TV, they had a big cabinet for a 80's style tube, thanks to the flatscreen I have room.

** you don't have permission to see this link **

This is an old pic but you can see what I am working with, I plan to remove the heater (to the right of the tv) I have never had to use it here in MS, and use that for the return. There is additional space behind the cabinet plus the space saved by the flat screen, I should have plenty of room. I will take a pic of the space in the next few days. I would like to go back with a 16000 btu, I have heard good things about the turbo Cruiseair. Do you have any recommendations? I plan to put another through hull and pump to speck for the new unit. Thanks in advance...

Todd

Yes...The Turbo units are a step above anything else I have seen out there...In every way...

Keep in mind that a 16K will require 7" duct & 80 square in of discharge grill area, with 140 to 160 sq of return...

I have also replaced older 16K units with Turbo 12's (so the the duct/grills did not need mods) and the customers have commented that the boat was never cooler or quieter...The 12K Turbo needs 6" discharge with 60-70 sq of grill area & 100-120 sq of return.

The Turbo units are much smaller in dimensions than any of the older units, here is a link to specs etc: ** you don't have permission to see this link **

Steve~

August 7, 2011
9:42 pm
Tightspot
Members
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hey Steve, I have been a fan of yours on the HOF site. I have an '86 48' Viking with three units, the foreward has a 12000 btu split cruiseair, i think it is original. The saloon and mid\galley are both Airr 14000btu that I think are aroung 10 years old. I will check on the age. The saloon unit was installed in a very inefficient way, there is not enough SQ inches of return and the supply is about 8' of 5" flex duct that is paritally collapsed. Also, the water supply lines are 3/4" but the seacock is 1/2" with only one pump for all three units. I understand that this setup was only used for the first couple of years of this model because of the problems. Because of space limitations I only have a couple of options (that I am aware of). Viking stated to put them under the helm on the bridge, I would prefer not to do this, I dont really like the return and supply being in the ceiling. The option I like is behind the TV, they had a big cabinet for a 80's style tube, thanks to the flatscreen I have room.

** you don't have permission to see this link **

This is an old pic but you can see what I am working with, I plan to remove the heater (to the right of the tv) I have never had to use it here in MS, and use that for the return. There is additional space behind the cabinet plus the space saved by the flat screen, I should have plenty of room. I will take a pic of the space in the next few days. I would like to go back with a 16000 btu, I have heard good things about the turbo Cruiseair. Do you have any recommendations? I plan to put another through hull and pump to speck for the new unit. Thanks in advance...

Todd