Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Honda EU2000 enough to power my 5K btu?
June 1, 2010
4:21 pm
nowakezone
Guests

Thanks Steve. I've read many of those accounts at THT and other sites, but none from an authority as yourself.

"I will caution that exhaust from the Honda can be an issue leaking into your cabin…I wouldn't plan on using one without careful consideration of placement so as the exhaust has no chance of entering the cabin, and I would also be sure to install a carbon monoxide detector and be sure to test it & it's batteries before each use."

Amen, sir. Empirically, you'd think "hey the generator is outside, I'm safe!" ...it's easy to forget the effects humid evening air has on exhaust as it cools in a box like a cockpit.

Thanks again, Steve.

June 1, 2010
7:33 am
Steve Pooler
Admin
Forum Posts: 1127
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have not personally tried a Honda 2000 to power a 5K A/C, but I can tell you that I have started up to 16K units on a 2000 watt Heart inverter.

I have also have read of others on The Hull Truth Forum who do use Honda's for small A/C's with no problems starting.

I will caution that exhaust from the Honda can be an issue leaking into your cabin...I wouldn't plan on using one without careful consideration of placement so as the exhaust has no chance of entering the cabin, and I would also be sure to install a carbon monoxide detector and be sure to test it & it's batteries before each use. 

Steve~

June 1, 2010
7:13 am
nowakezone
Guests

I'm unsure where to ask this, so here it is.

For on-the-hook use of my boat's electric needs, I want to get one of the new Honda 2000 generators with the 30 amp outlet. My cabin is small, I have two electric outlets, a small fridge, some lights, and a MarineAir 5K btu cool only unit.

I'm wondering if the generator will have problems powering the AC.

Thanks