Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
12 volt relay to control 110 volt Cal Marine 1200 gph cooling pump for my Fischer Panta 12kw generator
January 25, 2010
10:12 am
Steve Pooler
Admin
Forum Posts: 1127
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Ok Warren...Just be sure that the boost pump you choose has the same (or larger) inlet & outlet pipe size fittings as the hose required for the generator....

Those Cal pumps I believe have smaller outlet than inlet, and might cause restriction of flow if not left running while the gen set runs.

We have also not found the Cal pumps to be very reliable...Cruisair even took them out of inventory because of it.

March brand magnetic drive pumps have proved to hold up much better in our experiences.

Steve~

January 24, 2010
9:48 pm
Warren Price
Guests

Steve: Thanks again. The Fischer Panda has relay control output that will kill the pump if generator stops. The control voltage is 12 volts. Impossible to have water pick up any closer because gen set in located on bridge deck. The source from Grainger will work for me. Thanks Warren

January 24, 2010
7:19 pm
Steve Pooler
Admin

Really Warren...My apologies if I was out of line there...I did read that as 6 inches....My Bad, and I see what you wrote now...

But anyway...One other thing you may want to consider with a seawater boost pump for your purpose....

What happens if the gen set engine stops for one reason or another & the boost pump continues ?....You can fill the generator engine with seawater...

Is there not a way to get the thru hull a bit closer to the gen set ?

Steve~

January 24, 2010
2:34 pm
Warren Price
Guests

Steve: Thanks for input. It is 6 feet not 6 inches of lift and about 9 foot total distance from the raw water sea cock to the 12kw gen.

Warren

January 24, 2010
12:00 pm
Steve Pooler
Admin

Warren Price said:

Steve: Is their a relay/selinoid that I can use to control AC Cal Marine pump to supply raw water for engine cooling to my Fischer Panda 12KW generator? There is 12 volt output to control a relay for a booster pump from the Fischer Panda. The 12KW gen set is located 6' above the raw water intake and needs a booster pump to prevent eating impellers. Thought I try one of the 110 volt AC pumps instead of a 12 volt pump. Warren Price, ** you don't have permission to see this link **

Greetings & Welcome Warren~

Hmmm….Not one that comes from the Marine A/C industry…12V DC is the problem…We have nothing I can think of right now that needs it…

That's not to say you couldn't find a relay from say WWW Grainger that would do the job…You just need a relay with a 12 DC coil that can carry the AC load of the pump.

On the other side…6″ of lift for a impeller type pump that comes on a gen set should not be a problem…I might suggest that you have another contributing factor causing impeller failures…What does your servicing dealer say about the issue ?....I would think that 12v output may be for a external DC Fuel boost pump...Not a seawater pump.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher Panda might not deny a warranty claim because of that type modification (if under warranty)  

Adding a boost pump may cause a restriction that causes more of a problem than it helps, not to mention that the extra pump & relay is something additional to maintain…

Steve~

January 24, 2010
11:11 am
Warren Price
Guests

Steve: Is their a relay/selinoid that I can use to control AC Cal Marine pump to supply raw water for engine cooling to my Fischer Panda 12KW generator? There is 12 volt output to control a relay for a booster pump from the Fischer Panda. The 12KW gen set is located 6' above the raw water intake and needs a booster pump to prevent eating impellers. Thought I try one of the 110 volt AC pumps instead of a 12 volt pump. Warren Price, ** you don't have permission to see this link **